Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 36" bandsaw with VFD?

"Ignoramus9479" wrote in message
On 2012-09-11, Kristian Ukkonen wrote:

On 9/11/2012 5:06, Tom Gardner wrote:
I have a 7.5 hp 36" Tannewitz vertical band saw that we don't use
much
any more. We used it for production wood cutting and it zinged
through
5/4 hardwood like butter.

Could I put a VFD on it to cut metal?

I think you need about 10% of wood spped for steel.

How about changing a motor with different RPM, for example with
1:10 gear reduction? Would add torque nicely.

His mechanisms may not survive 10x the torque.

I am with Gunner actually, he should sell the wood bandsaw and buy a
metal bandsaw.

It may still be OK for aluminum. Blade speed for steel is down around
100 feet/minute and the cutting force is uncomfortably high on the
fingers and increases as the blade dulls. Sawing 1/4" steel freehand
isn't bad, 1/2" and up is rapidly tiring.
jsw