Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Kristian Ukkonen Kristian Ukkonen is offline

Default 36" bandsaw with VFD?

On 9/11/2012 23:11, Kristian Ukkonen wrote:

On 9/11/2012 5:06, Tom Gardner wrote:
I have a 7.5 hp 36" Tannewitz vertical band saw that we don't use much
any more. We used it for production wood cutting and it zinged through
5/4 hardwood like butter.

Could I put a VFD on it to cut metal?

I think you need about 10% of wood spped for steel.

How about changing a motor with different RPM, for example with
1:10 gear reduction? Would add torque nicely.

Could also be a motor with more poles to get lower RPM..
With 50Hz they go 3000RPM, 1500, 1000, 750, 600, 300, 375, 320, 250..
With dahlander-coils, you could even have several speeds with same
motor, keeping it ok for wood and metal.. Still, the gear head
motor would be easier to find used..

I think the added torque is not necessary a problem.. At least,
my bandsaw slips at the drive wheels for the saw band.. The
wheels keep on turning, but the saw band doesn't move..

Kristian Ukkonen.