Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus9479 Ignoramus9479 is offline

Default 36" bandsaw with VFD?

On 2012-09-11, Kristian Ukkonen wrote:

On 9/11/2012 5:06, Tom Gardner wrote:
I have a 7.5 hp 36" Tannewitz vertical band saw that we don't use much
any more. We used it for production wood cutting and it zinged through
5/4 hardwood like butter.

Could I put a VFD on it to cut metal?

I think you need about 10% of wood spped for steel.

How about changing a motor with different RPM, for example with
1:10 gear reduction? Would add torque nicely.

His mechanisms may not survive 10x the torque.

I am with Gunner actually, he should sell the wood bandsaw and buy a
metal bandsaw.

It might work with a good flux vector VFD, providing good torque
at slow speeds.. Just add a fan to blow air to the motor, as the
motor fan won't provide enough air at low speeds. Might not be
reasonable because of cost of the VFD, unless you find it used.

Kristian Ukkonen.