Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_13_] Frank[_13_] is offline

Default Beware marble countertops. . .

On 9/11/2012 8:29 AM, Dave M. wrote:
Frank,
.
The pure stone tops, granite and marble, are calcium carbonate which is
attacked by acidic foods - granite less so than softer marble.
Good finishes will make them more stable.

Granite is a mix of many different chemicals but calcium carbonate is
not common in graite. Where do you get your granite?

Dave M.

You are right.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Granite

I made the common mistake of repeating something I read on the web and
should have known better.

Marble is mostly calcium carbonate which makes it very susceptible to
acid attack.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marble

Granite is still susceptible but not nearly as much.

Corian composition, I am very familiar with and it is
polymethylmethacrylate with alumina filler making it the most kitchen
food stable.

Frank