Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RogerN RogerN is offline

Default Oxygen Concentrators for torch.

"Jon Elson" wrote in message

RogerN wrote:
snip

It would be nice to find a high pressure compressor compatible with
oxygen
to fill my own tanks. I priced a small 1/2HP oxygen compressor that went
to 2200PSI for tank filling, the price was almost $5000 for the
compressor. Anyone know of an affordable safe way to boost ~5PSI from an
oxygen concentrator to high enough pressure to be useful for a cutting
torch or even to fill an oxygen tank?

You don't need anywhere near 2200 PSI for a cutting torch, so that may
help keep the cost down. Partly, you are paying for liability insurance,
as anywhere pure Oxygen is used, there WILL be an occasional incident.

Jon

The 2200 PSI was to fill an Oxygen tank so I could have a volume of oxygen
at ~35 PSI for cutting. Pump up the tank overnight and have plenty of
oxygen for cutting, I'm guessing cutting takes more than the 5 liters per
minute that the concentrator delivers. For the glass working torches the
low PSI seems fine but they use large flame for large glasswork and can use
2 or 3 oxygen concentrators to supply the volume. I like torch welding, my
preference is TIG or Oxy/Acetylene, seems many places use the torch almost
exclusively for cutting.

For now I'll stick with oxygen tanks and keep concentrators in mind if I
should need one. Looks like a concentrator could be made with a few valves
and some 5A zeolite, might play with sometime for lab oxygen or something.

Tonight I connected my welding torch to propane and oxygen to try it on
borosilicate glass (pyrex). Seems like it should work good, I got the idea
because the glass working torches for that type of glass are premix with
tips like a welding torch. They even sell the Smith Little Torch at many of
the glass working suppliers. So I'll try to use my welding torch with
oxygen/propane for glass and see how that works for now.

RogerN