Posted to alt.home.repair

Default No-mow, easy-grow grass?

On Sep 10, 1:26*pm, Hell Toupee

I'd go one further. This sounds like one of those news
stories that gets blown out of proportion and has little
substantiation. Like the claim that he barely mows it.
As you point out, it has tall fescue in it. There are all
kinds of tall fescue, but I have yet to see one where it
doesn't need to be mowed about once a week. The
tall fescues tend to be among the faster growing,
tougher grasses, which is why they are used for
applications like parks and athletic fields.

Also, I'm wondering how John Q Public gets thousands
of grasses to experiment with. Most of the seed out
there that you can buy in a 7lb bag is a blend. And when
you can buy a specific seed variety, it's frequently hard
to find a supplier and then comes in commercial quantities,
ie at least a 50lb bag, wholesale only, etc. It's kind of
hard to imagine that JQP could stumble on some great
new blend of seed when you have researchers the world
over working on exactly that for decades. Not impossible,
but you have to wonder.

When his new miracle grass has been put through
a real evaluation, ie NTEP, where they grow it under
test conditions at multiple sites, then evaluate it under
the same criteria as all the other turf grasses, then
I'll be a believer.