Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Amanda Riphnykhazova Amanda Riphnykhazova is offline

Default sound lag on Panasonic Home Theatre toslink input/ouput?

On Friday, September 7, 2012 11:05:53 PM UTC-4, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Fri, 7 Sep 2012 14:57:54 -0700 (PDT), Amanda Riphnykhazova

license wrote:

(... too lazy to word wrap...)

Try turning off the Dolby digital audio when using the Toslink. Dolby

can add about 0.5 seconds delay. DTS audio might have less of a delay

and is worth trying. Toslink does NOT have a lip sync specification

because there is no associated video channel. That might explain why

Panasonic isn't very responsive to the problem. If you want tolerable

(not perfect) lip sync, HDMI 1.3 and 1.4 are the only interfaces with

a functional spec.

The strange noises are definitely not normal and should be

investigated. However, I have no clue from where they originate.

: JeffLiebermann

This problem has persisted now for 6-8 months with differing degrees of intensity but since I posted, the digital sound first disappeared completely, then the next day came back when I turned off the Dolby (and without any real noticeable lag) and then today the lag came back with such a vengeance that I thought that the HT unit had defaulted back to Dolby (no, it hadn't).