Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Master Lock Electronic Padlocks - Can they be disabled?

I watched the videos at this site and I wonder if these electronic locks
could be tampered with in a way that would disable them.

http://www.masterlock.com/services_a...id=71017601001

http://tinyurl.com/ElectronicMasterLock

The battery cannot be removed when the lock is locked but they provide a
"battery jump" feature in case the battery dies while the lock is locked.
You pull the battery slot out just a little and use a new battery to "jump"
the lock.

My concern would be the ability for someone to break the battery slot while
in that position, thus disabling the lock.

Watch the "battery jump" video. Seems to me that the slot could be
intentionally damaged when in the "jump" position which might render the
lock inoperable. For example, what if I took a pair of pliers and mangled
the battery slot so it couldn't be pushed back in and the jump contacts
were destroyed?

Perhaps a live battery would still power the lock even if the vandal opened
the slot to the jump position and then mangled it. Obviously a dead battery
wouldn't so it seems that at least if the timing was right, the lock could
be disabled in that case.

I think i'll give Master Lock a call and see what they say.