Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Lamb[_2_] Tim Lamb[_2_] is offline

Default Apprentices smoking in vans

In message , tim.....
writes

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
.. .

No it doesn't, it depends upon the law, and UK law specifically bans
the collection of Punitive damages in any type of contact - only the
government may punish you. Any contract clause that attempts to do
so will always be void.

But I can enforce a published parking charge on private land?

That's not damages for breach of contract, it's a charge for the actual
goods/service that you are selling. (And can legally be whatever
amount that you want it to be - that the customer will pay).

Digging further... it appears that the only legal means of detaining
vehicles for the purpose of enforcing a published charge is a permanent
visible barrier. I wonder if they have considered those rising posts?

Also, what constitutes an authorised person? I can see the Police and
Local Authority fit but what about the actual landowner?

--
Tim Lamb