Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default More on electric cars.

In article ,
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
On Sun, 09 Sep 2012 00:06:44 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
And if someone offered you an unused (and I don't mean dry-charged) LA
battery that was four years old would you pay any money for it?
I wouldn't.

If it had not been allowed to go flat at any point, I'd buy it - at the
right price. Obviously not full price since that would be pointless.

I would pay nothing and only pay something once it'd been proven under
load for a while. Even then I'd only pay a fiver.

I bought a Halfords 'calcium' for the central heating system backup some 6
years ago, and it's the correct one for my old Rover. It lived in a
kitchen cupboard at a near constant temp and kept on a maintenance charge.
Was never used in anger.
It's now in the car after that battery died, and before installing it I
checked it with my posh tester. Which showed it as perfect. If I test a 6
years old car battery which has been used in a car, it usually shows some
degradation.

BTW, if it's a reasonably big car battery, the scrap value is more than a
fiver. ;-) Got 7 quid for the old Rover one.

--
*A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.