Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default Prep advice for 25 yr. old stuccoed chimneys.

On Sat, 8 Sep 2012 13:37:07 -0700 (PDT), andyeverett
wrote:

I may have a job painting three 25 yr. old stuccoed chimneys in south
east PA. The chimneys have dark staining mostly near the top. All
three chimneys are equally stained so I don't think this is related to
the oil furnace and the home owners don't burn wood. The stucco seems
in good shape. See photos of chimneys at,

https://picasaweb.google.com/andyeve...September82012

Do I bleach and power wash, thoroughly dry, and prime with a stain
blocking primer or can I skip the bleach and power washing stage, if I
can I can save home owners some money. I will probably rent a Nifty
tm50 high lift which rents for $300+ a day. What is the proper prep
for this job and have I left out any details?

Any suggestions on how this job should be done would be welcome.

I don't know your exact answer, but the roof looks to have the same
coloration in spots, as the stucco.

It is a growth of plant material? If the stucco was soot you could
use TSP* (Trisodium Phosphate) for cleaning the stucco. Find it in
the paint section of a local store or online. The red box TSP will
clean soot.

"...A non-sudsing powdered Trisodium Phosphate compound that is
formulated for heavy duty cleaning. Preferred by painting and cleaning
professionals for removing heavy deposits of greasy grime, smoke, soot
stains and chalked paint from walls, woodwork and floors. Removes
mildew and mildew stains when mixed with bleach. Cleans and prepares
surfaces for repainting. Also recommended for washing away paint
remover sludge.

http://www.savogran.com/Retail_Products/Cleaning_Products/cleaning_products.html

Good luck