Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adam Funk[_3_] Adam Funk[_3_] is offline

Default Apprentices smoking in vans

On 2012-09-08, Nightjar wrote:

On 08/09/2012 18:37, ARW wrote:
Thursday morning before I set of on "holiday" the guy I sub for dragged one
of the apprentices into the office for smoking in a works van (he does not
care if they smoke in them).

The apprentice denied everything and there was a lot of shouting and
swearing and the apprentice said that "he had never smoked in a works van".

The words "You are ****ing lying tell me the truth" were shouted and the
apprentice said "I promise you I have never smoked in your van"

At which point the owner of the firm handed the apprentice the £75 fixed
penatly notice (that claims to have photographic evidence) of the apprentice
throwing a tab end out of the window of a van he was driving.

Is this a fixed penalty notice for littering, issued by a Local
Authority? If so, it needs to be paid on time or he will face a criminal
prosecution. It also seems to me that the employer should have been
discussing littering, rather than smoking, which the apprentice might
well have admitted to. Throwing a butt out of the window is no evidence
that he had been smoking in the van, rather than, say, having found it
on the floor.

Well, if the apprentice had said something like, "No, but I found a
butt in the van & threw it out", that would be plausible --- then he
could pay the littering fine.