Ian Wheeler

Default French door problem

The double paned glass is a sealed unit, possibly with a vacuum between,
possibly with inert gas between.

I had two of these go in my last house - best bet is to call the local glass
company - they'll come and measure it up and order the new panel. I had
them install the panels, but you could do that yourself.

The panels are only held in by the molding you see and caulk behind it. On
mine, one side of the door panel came off, slide the new panel in, put the
door back together then molding and caulk.

Ian

"Scott Vajdos" wrote in message
om...
Greetings!

Okay, here's the situation. My wife & I moved into a brand new house
last month, complete with a set a French doors that open up on the
back yard. This morning, I was mowing the grass when the mower found
a small rock that I didn't see, and flung it towards the French doors.

The doors are each approximately 29 1/2 x 79 inches, and come with
double-paned glass, measuring approximately 20 x 64 inches. And the
outer pane in one now has a spectacular-looking fracture pattern.

The way I see it, I have two options. Replace the door or replace the
glass. The only problem is, I have zilch experience doing either.
I'm assuming that replacing the door will be more expensive than
simply replacing the glass, as well as be more of a general pain in
the ass (matching paint, making sure it's aligned correctly, etc.)

The doors have molding around the glass. If I could get a new pane,
what surprises would be waiting for me if I were to remove the
molding? What actually secures the glass to the door?

Thanks for all your help.

Scott