Scott Vajdos

Default French door problem

Greetings!

Okay, here's the situation. My wife & I moved into a brand new house
last month, complete with a set a French doors that open up on the
back yard. This morning, I was mowing the grass when the mower found
a small rock that I didn't see, and flung it towards the French doors.

The doors are each approximately 29 1/2 x 79 inches, and come with
double-paned glass, measuring approximately 20 x 64 inches. And the
outer pane in one now has a spectacular-looking fracture pattern.

The way I see it, I have two options. Replace the door or replace the
glass. The only problem is, I have zilch experience doing either.
I'm assuming that replacing the door will be more expensive than
simply replacing the glass, as well as be more of a general pain in
the ass (matching paint, making sure it's aligned correctly, etc.)

The doors have molding around the glass. If I could get a new pane,
what surprises would be waiting for me if I were to remove the
molding? What actually secures the glass to the door?

Thanks for all your help.

Scott