Posted to uk.d-i-y
David WE Roberts[_4_] David WE Roberts[_4_] is offline

Default Shower Room Extractor Fans

"rbel" wrote in message ...
On Wed, 5 Sep 2012 16:41:35 +0100, "David WE Roberts"
wrote:

About to have a shower extract fan fitted. I have gone for an in-line
Soler & Palau TD160 http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SLTD160.html
which is exceptionally quiet and moves a reasonable volume of air at
its low power setting. The extract grille is being sited directly
over the shower enclosure. I was thinking of a separate (Vent-Axia)
humidistat with a discreet pull cord over-ride
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vent-Axia-Ec.../dp/B006TGB3QE
but given the cost I am considering a pre-set timer switch such as
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/EK560Adash1.html

Going down much the same route (TD250) but I think I will pay up for the
Vent-Axia humidistat.
Had one before and liked it.
Will probably get a run on timer - could get the fan with timer but I
suspect that changing the delay time will require access to the fan body -
the one in the loft is fine but the one in the ceiling downstairs may be
more of an issue.

I have had a chat with the sparks about the humidistat and he
mentioned that they can be prone to switching on when the shower is
not in use but the bathroom temperature falls/humidity increases when
the CH switches off or goes to night set back. Have you any
experience of this? I see that Vent-Axia now do a 'stat which can
cope with this problem
http://www.vent-axia.com/product/amb...-sensor.html-1

Interesting - the looks like an alternative to the one I found on the
Vent-Axia site a few days back.
This http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/XPXRH.html was the one I was about
to order.
No explanation about the two switches.

I have heard loads of stories about nuisance switching on humid nights.
All I can say is that we didn't have this problem in our previous bathroom
where we had an older Xpelair.
I suspect that it may happen on a few very warm and humid summer nights but
we haven't had any of those for a few years :-(
Nice technology - not sure I would pay extra for it.

Thanks for the VentAxia link - I was focussed on Xpelair products.

Cheers

Dave R
[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder