Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Home Depot Latex Paint ...very poor coverage

On Wed, 05 Sep 2012 15:43:01 -0400, Norminn wrote:

Onclipped
I try to get making tape off the same day but some of this was a few days
later. It didn't seem to matter.

I always remove tape as soon as I paint the area (before it
sets)....have to mash down on the edge so paint doesn't seep under the
edge. If tape is left on, esp. with latex paint, and the paint laps the
tape a little bit, the tape can pull of a chunk of the paint film.

I generally wait until the paint is set so I don't smear it. But the Behr
acted much differently than other paints I've used. It was like a film, that
really didn't want to stick to the wall. Sorta like Scotch tape that lost
much of its sticky.

I hate prep, but I am obsessive about doing it. When I do 2 coats (don't
recall the last time I tried "one coat" paint), I wait 2 or three days,
retape, repeat. The only positive is that I buy good paint and don't
paint every 2 or 3 years to change color ) I do kit. and baths, wood
trim, doors with BM alkyd semi; wouldn't use anything else.

The second coat, when using latex, is supposed to either be applied within 24
hours, before it's really started curing, or after 30 days, when it's
completely cured. Between can cause adhesion problems.