Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Switching PSU advice

Jamie wrote:

John wrote:

There's a daughter card, who rectifies the main AC: the voltage across the two
big caps is correct.
Across source and drain of the TOP200YAI - Three-terminal Off-line PWM Switch
there is the rectified voltage. The control input is 0.

On the control line of the opto is not 0, but 0.34V.

It seems that the PSU lacks the "start signal".

You have a power good wire "PG" and a start wire "GREEN" which as to
be pulled to common.. ALso, depending the vintage, you may not have a
"GREEN" wire..

I don't remember the color code for the PG line, I think it was Orange
but don't quote me on that one. It'll be in the main bundle to the
PC board, not any of the hardware power connectors.

Jamie

Real servers aren't typical desktop computers, and a lot don't use
the ATX connectors so wire color can be very misleading. I have several
servers with plug in, hot swappable power supplies. Those go to a
interface board, then to the motherboard & drives.

The OP didn't state whether it was rack mount or desktop, or what
connectors are used.

http://download.boulder.ibm.com/ibmdl/pub/systems/support/system_x_pdf/90p3053.pdf
is a manual on one 325 series server. It is a single power supply, and
the manual is dated 2003