Posted to uk.d-i-y
tony sayer tony sayer is offline

Default VM modem reset ? (bit OT)

In article , Lobster davidlobsterpot60
scribeth thus
On 04/09/2012 12:47, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 04 Sep 2012 09:08:20 +0100, Lobster wrote:

Once I'd sussed what was wrong - which took me long enough - I then had
to work out how to alter the fixed IP addresses on my devices; all
happening on a morning when I was frantically busy with (my freelance)
work; cost me a load of time and I suspect the delay may well have cost
me a client. Unbe-****ing-lievable.

Makes me wonder why people have business critical services provided at
"best endeavors" residential service levels.

Fair comment. But normally internet is not business-critical for my
work, and the Virginmedia offering has been perfectly OK for my needs
over 10+ years and I have never felt the need to go for a different
'business' service.

However, I will concede that I was totally caught out by VM's ability
and willingness to suddenly access and reconfigure my home network, for
example taking out my networked printer etc; ie it was a big mistake to
use their router - something which never occurred to me as being an issue.

David

I hear that this might have been accidental in some areas.

However here we run a VM Modem which does output 192.168.100.1 which
then drives a more conventional router which does all the finer
functions like port forward setting up VPN's and the like.. You used to
need a dedicated cable modem router or one with a LAN type input but
these days there are some around, ADSL types, that can be used, some
have a WAN 2 input and that can work fine.

If you don't want to do that then why not change to the 192.168.0.xxx
range makes bu^^er all different for most all users. You can just use
the inbuilt DHCP server if required..

Other then that the service we have works fine, knocks the pants off the
ADSL services we have elsewhere all limited by that copper wire
length;!.

And those ones are business grade but are no better in practice...
--
Tony Sayer