Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default VM modem reset ? (bit OT)

another reason not to get their hub then and carry on using my modem which
was just presumably blocking some ports or some such.

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Lobster" wrote in message
On 04/09/2012 01:51, Arfa Daily wrote:
Anyone else get a Virgin Media modem reset last night

Not last night, but a few weeks ago.

VM recently released a firmware upgrade for its SuperHub modem/router;
which in its wisdom was enforced upon its users without even telling them
it was happening (never mind leaving it to them to do at a convenient
time). One morning I found my whole network was totally ****ed - I had no
idea what was going on; none of our wifi devices worked and several
hard-wired kit was unavailable.

Googling from a working computer told me that the 'upgrade' had happened,
and subsequent hunting around I found out that the new firmware places new
restrictions on what IP addresses you can use. For historical reasons
which I can no longer remember, I was operating mostly on the subnet
192.168.1.*. However, for reasons best known to itself, in addition to
changing the firmware unannounced, VM have now blocked users from changing
the subnet; you have to use 192.168.0.*.

Once I'd sussed what was wrong - which took me long enough - I then had to
work out how to alter the fixed IP addresses on my devices; all happening
on a morning when I was frantically busy with (my freelance) work; cost me
a load of time and I suspect the delay may well have cost me a client.
Unbe-****ing-lievable.

David