Posted to uk.d-i-y
polygonum polygonum is offline

Default VM modem reset ? (bit OT)

On Tue, 04 Sep 2012 01:51:14 +0100, Arfa Daily
wrote:

Anyone else get a Virgin Media modem reset last night ? Today, my entire
network was down, although the computer in here that's hardwired to the
modem, still had normal 'net access. When I came to try to reconnect any
of the network devices, 'my' wireless modem was nowhere to be seen in
the list, although there were two called "Virgin Media" followed by a
long number, that I had never seen in the list before. I called my mate
who works for them, and he suggested that I browsed to the modem and
went into its wifi configuration settings to see what had happened. When
I did this, it turned out that one of the two that I had seen in the
list, was the SSID of my modem. The WAP password was some string of
alpha-numeric nonsense, that presumably was a factory default.

So I had to rename it back to what it was, and reset the password key to
what it was. All of my network devices were then able to reconnect, and
everything was fine. I might have thought that perhaps some random event
had reset my modem alone, but the fact that there was another in the
list also called "Virgin Media" with a similar - but different - string
of numbers to mine, would indicate that a nearby neighbour had also
suffered a similar reset.

My mate said that maybe they had done some sort of overnight upgrade to
their network that had resulted in modems being reset back to their
factory defaults, but he hadn't heard of anything. I've been with VM
right back to the days of NTL before they even took it over, and I have
never had anything like this happen before. I wasn't even aware that
there was any route from the outside where they could get at stuff like
user-set SSIDs and passwords.

Anyone else on VM have anything like this happen last night, or had it
happen before ?

Arfa

No need to reboot here. At least I don't thin...

--
Rod