Posted to uk.d-i-y
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default VM modem reset ? (bit OT)

Anyone else get a Virgin Media modem reset last night ? Today, my entire
network was down, although the computer in here that's hardwired to the
modem, still had normal 'net access. When I came to try to reconnect any of
the network devices, 'my' wireless modem was nowhere to be seen in the list,
although there were two called "Virgin Media" followed by a long number,
that I had never seen in the list before. I called my mate who works for
them, and he suggested that I browsed to the modem and went into its wifi
configuration settings to see what had happened. When I did this, it turned
out that one of the two that I had seen in the list, was the SSID of my
modem. The WAP password was some string of alpha-numeric nonsense, that
presumably was a factory default.

So I had to rename it back to what it was, and reset the password key to
what it was. All of my network devices were then able to reconnect, and
everything was fine. I might have thought that perhaps some random event had
reset my modem alone, but the fact that there was another in the list also
called "Virgin Media" with a similar - but different - string of numbers to
mine, would indicate that a nearby neighbour had also suffered a similar
reset.

My mate said that maybe they had done some sort of overnight upgrade to
their network that had resulted in modems being reset back to their factory
defaults, but he hadn't heard of anything. I've been with VM right back to
the days of NTL before they even took it over, and I have never had anything
like this happen before. I wasn't even aware that there was any route from
the outside where they could get at stuff like user-set SSIDs and passwords.

Anyone else on VM have anything like this happen last night, or had it
happen before ?

Arfa