Posted to uk.d-i-y
harry harry is offline

Default Cheaper to disconnect gas, or a mistake re cost of disconnect?

On Sep 2, 7:01*pm, wrote:
A relative's house is now entirely E7 storage heaters (static and thermostat operated fan storage heater, dimplex VFM32i bought boxed new for £99), with 50-80mm internal wall insulation.

I have just switched Gas+Elec into Elec.
I planned to get the gas disconnected.
However National Grid charge £403 to disconnect a 63mm gas pipe from a house?

However I thought Dual-Fuel suppliers do not allow you to draw 0kW on a contract with no standing charge - or am I wrong? that said the relative has done just that for 1yr (saved £1700 on gas related repairs, I bought the heaters).

Big mistake to have it disconnected, it will reduce the value of the
house.
The gas pipe will have been capped when all the gas stuff was removed.

It doesn't cost anything in terms of further charges. You still have
to send in meter readings but obviously it is the same reading every
time.
I have a gas meter but use no gas, it is capped at the meter..