Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Toro self propelled lawn mower ignition problem

On Sat, 1 Sep 2012 12:57:03 -0700 (PDT), klem kedidelhopper
wrote:

Someone gave us this non working self propelled mower that he says
just stopped working.

Model number of the Toro mower?

When my son first tried to start it he says that
it would run for a few seconds and then quit.

How many seconds is a few? If it's about 2-4 seconds, then you've got
spark and some fuel. My guess(tm) is that you have a clogged fuel
filter at the end of a hose banging around in the fuel tank. Fish out
the fuel filter and hose with a coat hanger and replace the filter.
No, don't try to clean it... just replace it. There may also be a
filter at the fuel entry hose to the carb.

After this it would
apparently take about 20 minutes before it would again start, and
again run for about two seconds and then the process was repeated.

Yep. It takes that long for fuel to sloooooooowly ooooooze through
the clogged fuel filter.

This morning we worked on it a little and I could not get it started
at all.

Sigh. One giant step backwards.

We ultimately found that there was no spark.

Remove spark plug. Reconnect wire from ignition coil. Ground the
plug some place convenient on the engine (not the gas tank). Crank.
Do you see sparks? If not, check the points.

There are no points
or capacitor on this mower and there is just a magnet on the
flywheel.

Keep looking. The breaker points and condenser might be buried.
http://home.howstuffworks.com/home-improvement/repair/how-to-repair-small-engines3.htm
http://www.ehow.com/how-does_5008999_lawn-mower-magneto-work.html
Perhaps if you supplied the model number, an exploded view might be
found?

How to test a magneto:
http://www.ask.com/questions-about/How-to-Test-a-Magneto

Shopping and todo list:
1. Fuel filter
2. Points and condenser.
3. Replace fuel line hoses if they're plugged or cracking.
4. Spark plug.
5. Clean out engine exhaust port from carbon buildup.
6. Clean out engine intake port from tar buildup.
7. Carb cleaner.
8. Check the magneto gap.
--
Jeff Liebermann