Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Jack is offline

Default ot technology:

On 8/31/2012 12:06 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:

I never stated that I thought touch screen was useless or bad. I only
stated that it does not light my fire. I also said that it is great on my
cell phone but I don't see it as being so convenient on my laptop.

I own an Ipad and I don't want a touch screen on my DT. Don't own a
laptop myself. The touch screen is tits on the Ipad, and if you like it
on your cell, you would love it on the Ipad.

As far as owning or needing an Ipad, I'd say swing has a good use for
it, showing pictures of work and planned work to his customers. The
Ipad is in my opinion, the best tool for this, better than a laptop
because it is smaller, lighter, super graphics, works Kooly and, last
but not least, it is not a WINDOWS piece of crap, so it always works,
and works well.

As far as bling goes, I'd say the koolness factor of an Ipad could be
bling, but useful bling, and since the bling is useful, it's not so much
bling as good functional design (I'm talking touchscreen here, more than
why you are going to need an Ipad.) Festool is the same, no bling to
speak of, they make the best tool they can possibly make. About the
only bling with a Festool is the price. Charging a ton for a tool sells
a lot of tools to rich bankers, rich teachers and government hacks.
Tradesman tend to drive Ford pickups stuffed with
Milwaukee/Makita/Rigid/Bosch tools. For most of them it seems, the
bling (high price) is a negative. BTW, I asked a 7th tradesman, a small
contractor swing style, and he did hear of Festool, but doesn't own any.

Myself, I didn't really want an Ipad, my son bought me one last xmas.
When I found out it cost as much as a good Festool sander, I was a
little miffed he wasted that much on an Ipad, he could have wasted it on
a sander like Leon uses and made sanding "fun" for me.

I use it mostly as a radio. With Iheart radio, a free app, I can listen
to many hundreds of radio stations all over the country. So, if I feel
like listing to Beck, limbaugh, savage, and they are preempted on my
local station for some dumb ass sports broadcast, I can listen to them
on any of a hundred stations any where in the USA on the Ipad. Very
cool. For music, I like Pandora. It plays mostly what I like, and with
the Ipad, I can hook it up to my house stereo and listen to it all over
the house, or hook it up to my shop stereo, and listen in my shop. I'm
listening to Pandora right now, but I guess I could be listening via my
PC since I'm on it.

It's also nice when watching TV and I want to check out something on the
net, it's right there, same in my shop. About everything else I've done
with the Ipad is close to useless for me. I have a nice recipe app, and
it is tits (34B), but I don't cook much. I have a free app that turns
it into a police scanner for 9 billion police/fire/rescue all over the
country. No interest here. A billion games, I don't do games. I read
one kindle book on it, I paid about as much for the book as I would have
if I got the actual book, probably more. Now if I want to give the book
to someone else to read, I have to give them the freaking Ipad as well.
I'd rather buy a book for 1 penny + 3.99 shipping on Amazon. Only way
to go on books.

Anyway, IMNSHO, you most likely are in no need of an Ipad, unless you
want to show potential customers pictures of stuff you make, or ideas of
what you can build for them. If you are a gamer, plenty of games.
If you have $5-600 just itching to be spent on something you don't
really need, I'd buy a festool Rotex sander. But thats just me trusting
Leons opinion on sanders.

Oh, my wife has a nookie or whatever that thing is called. She is on it
20 hours a day, plays some kind of interactive word game with goofballs
all over the place and gambles (shudder) on line. She often takes it
with her. It's not as good as the Ipad BUT, it fits in her purse.

So, other than the touchscreen being really nice on the Ipad, you are
pretty much right on, on the rest of your thoughts.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com