Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Default Cheaper to disconnect gas, or a mistake re cost of disconnect?

On 02/09/2012 19:01, wrote:
A relative's house is now entirely E7 storage heaters (static and thermostat operated fan storage heater, dimplex VFM32i bought boxed new for £99), with 50-80mm internal wall insulation.

I have just switched Gas+Elec into Elec.
I planned to get the gas disconnected.
However National Grid charge £403 to disconnect a 63mm gas pipe from a house?

However I thought Dual-Fuel suppliers do not allow you to draw 0kW on a contract with no standing charge - or am I wrong? that said the relative has done just that for 1yr (saved £1700 on gas related repairs, I bought the heaters).

Surely, you can just get it capped off at the meter for no charge at all?