Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Lamb[_2_] Tim Lamb[_2_] is offline

Default Damp wall - what am I looking at?

In message
,
Andy Dingley writes

Snip..
Why would my kitchen range chimney have "flue holes" in it two floors
above? Was this common? Some temporary construction measure?

My two storey Victorian house has 3 flues to each chimney.

The kitchen range, first floor bedroom and ? I think it might have been
a boiler for laundry. Ground floor, ceiling level entry so not the same
as yours. Could it have been a retro fit metal flued stove for a
bedroom?

That chimney capping looks a bit iffy. There is no overhang to drip
rainwater clear of the render and no ventilation to clear internal
condensation.

Any thoughts on de-dampening would be welcome!

Someone with more knowledge will be along shortly:-)

Oh! I see they have already.

regards

--
Tim Lamb