Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default gunner - hot stick

"Bruce L. Bergman (munged human readable)" wrote:

On Fri, 31 Aug 2012 12:08:10 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Everyone got home from work and turned on the AC?

& electric stoves, & TVs & computers &...

If it's that predictable an outage, the Power Utility has got to fix
it. Removing a few houses isn't a fix, upgrading the feeder into the
area is what they need to do.

The entire subdivision needs to be rebuilt. It is fed from a line
that leads to a school that snaps about once a month. The refuse to
replace the old wire, they just splice in pieces of wire to repair it.
One break started a fire, when it hit an old creosote coated fence.
I've had outages over 12 hours when that line broke, and couldn't leave
the subdivision, because the main road was closed while they worked.
they could build a new feed less than a half mile to tie us into new
feed on 441 that rarely goes out.

They waited for the fire department to put out the fire, then patched
it again. There is a single phase, 100A 7200 volt line into the
subdivision. The hardware is so old that they couldn't find enough
fuses a few years ago, after a hurricane. None of out of state trucks
carried any that old, and they went through their stock before they got
to me. It's a sick joke. They followed the top down method, and there
were only 20 some houses on the last fuse in the subdivision. One
reason the fuse doesn't blow as often is that most of the people can't
afford the higher rates to run their AC. I haven't used the central air
in over five years, and the window AC is running wide open to keep my
bedroom at 89° F today

Some cracked power poles weren't replaced for over five years, and one
rotten primary pole on Hwy. 441 (Belleview, Fl. 34420) was spliced with
2*4 & strand wrapped around for over a decade. Florida power was bad
enough, but Progress is worse. Now, Duke is trying to buy Progress.