Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Drilling 304 Stainless

Tim Wescott wrote:

I may have asked this before, but I'm slow:

I have some 304 sheet. I use it to make control-line model airplane
handles. Each handle needs to have about 20 1/16" or .050" holes drilled
in it, in a pair of tidy lines.

This stuff breaks my regular old HSS drill bits, and my drill hand-
sharpening mojo is pretty spotty at 1/16".

Try some split-point cobalt drill bits. They are literally only a few cents
more when you buy them from MSC, KBC, etc. than the plain HSS bits.
They are much more capable of handling harder materials.

Jon