Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott Tim Wescott is offline

Default Drilling 304 Stainless

On Fri, 31 Aug 2012 13:17:45 -0400, Steve W. wrote:

Tim Wescott wrote:
On Fri, 31 Aug 2012 06:09:17 -0500, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:

Tim Wescott fired this volley in
:

The holes are for steel line clips, which must bear the centrifugal
force of the airplane at the same time that the handle is being
worked.

So, line the holes with SS grommets/hollow rivets.

It would even "look cool", with the grommets indicating that someone
had done something about the wear issue.

The holes need to be spaced 100 mils apart, and the hole in the grommet
couldn't be less than 50 mil, and 1/16 is better. So it'd need to be a
pretty teeny grommet.

Any suggestions where to find such?

Stainless POP rivets? Install rivet, pop, hit the back side with a
grinder to smooth them off.
If you want the back to look pretty use a cupped grinding point to dress
them.

Or use the rivet heads and a press to form the back. Could even spin the
back side down.

With a 1/16" shank, and a head (and hole size) smaller than 1/10"?

http://www.wescottdesign.com