Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Can you get a prepaid phone with GPS

On Thu, 30 Aug 2012 13:33:03 -0400, Metspitzer
wrote:

On Thu, 30 Aug 2012 12:26:45 -0400, micky
wrote:

On Thu, 30 Aug 2012 05:12:47 -0700, mike wrote:

On 8/29/2012 10:16 PM, Metspitzer wrote:
On Wed, 29 Aug 2012 17:57:33 -0400,
wrote:

After looking at countless phones, the only thing I have managed to do
is eliminate Page Plus. I am told that, although it does do Georgia,
the service is poor. It is a shame too. I was sold on the 12
package that does 250 min and 10M data.

I was going to go with an expensive phone so I would be able to use
all the features of a smart phone, but since I don't use them often, I
was hoping to get a cheap package.

Do any of the prepaid packages offer limited smart phone features? One
of the Page Plus phones I looked at said GPS. Would GPS be considered
part of a data plan?

Ok............I was ready to go with this:
http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/dev...id=pk8R8DDCHt1

I did a chat with ATT (Amber). Amber said this phone does GPS
navigation. It is something that I probably won't use, but I would
rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

I did read your post. Your post was what made me zero in on a Gophone
and call ATT. I also went by an ATT store today. I was told that
with the smart phone, I would not be able to use the 15 data package
because the smart phone used the Internet all the time.

I explained to the guy that I only wanted an expensive phone so I
could use the features if I needed them. I did not plan on using
them. I also explained to him that I wanted an expensive phone so I
could take quality photos and listen to mp3s. (free stuff after the
cost of the phone)

I also have several health related text files that I wanted to be able
to display on the phone. I use Gmail and Google Drive. While I also
do not plan on using either from the phone, I would like to display
the information and store it on the phone.

I had money in hand and was ready to buy the phone, but he said that I
would not be able to use a smartphone without a 25 per month package.
I then had to pay extra to actually use the smartphone features.

I still want a good quality phone, but I was trying to get it for 15
bucks per month. (reserving the right to add data when needed)

I asked him if he had any prepaid phones that would take quality
photos and a good quality mp3s without using a data package and he
said no. The prepaid phones had a 1Mpix camera and poor mp3 player.

I would be pleased to hear if I am incorrect, and I may be, but I am
repeating info I got from ATT.

I understand, and the employees there only know what they know. and
they only know what they're told. . I have no doubt he believed what
he was telling you, but he's wrong. . In fact I found it hard to
believe too, as you can see if you read my thread reffed below.
Because I figured if it was true, I'd have heard of it before. In
fact I fell into it sort of by accident.

My ex-gf told me her new phone had wifi. I'd never heard of a cell
phone with wifi before, and it sounded free. What with work and
home, I'm near wifi almost all the time except when i'm in the car.
Someone on the att newsgroup gave me an ATT webpage where I could buy
a recon smartphone (although they only had one model) to be used as a
gophone, but there was no way on that page to buy it with the same
plan I already had -- $100 for 11 months or until I used it all up,
whichever came first, at $2 a day. I thought that all gophones were
prepaid (isn't that what makes them "go".) so I was confused. I even
had to chat with the chat girl on that page, and she told me pretty
much what the clerk at ATT told you, that I had to buy one of the two
plans on that page.

But I went back to the ng and they insisted, so I looked for the same
phone elsewhere, and found it at walmart, but when I got there it was
in ATT gophone packaging and mentoined on the outside someting about a
data plan, and I gradually realized it was just an in person version
of the webpage, with new phones instead of both new and reconditioned.

For some reason, I looked on the web and found the phone in Ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/190705299563... 4.m1439.l2649
The features are listed here, and for other phones, go to
www.gsmarena.com where they have oodles of information.

Like I say, I don't know the phone well enough yet, so I'm not
recommending this model. I chose it because it was listed as ATT and
it had all the features I wanted, especially FM Radio (real radio,
from radio stations with antennas, not webradio or podcasts). It
works fairly well, especially if I didn't insist on listening to a
comparitively weak public radio station. But there are definitely
apps that won't run on it. The phone has only been out since
December, or February. Is that so little time that the apps haven't
been accomodated to it yet? OTOH, I don't need every app to run on
it as long as some app will do what I want. 1

I lost out on a previous auction, but for this onet I only paid $46
plus 10 dollars shipping. , and it was in excellent condition.
Things like car chargers are available very cheap on the web. Like 5
dollars. Vinyl screen protectors are like 4 or 5 dollars for 3,
instead of 21 dollars for one at Best Buy.

And all I had to do was take the Sim from my el cheapo go phone with
the 100 plan and put it in this phone.

So my total cost was $56 dollars plus whatever it cost to get the
first gophone. Not much iirc and most of the money went to minutes.

Maybe that's because the cheapest phone could not use data. It is just
a phone. I can't even download ringtones, and I can't connect it to
my computer. It has no jack except the charging jack and the earphone
jack. No data jack and it has no bluetooth. . It has 20 built in
ringtones and that's all you can have. It has no camera. So
whatever service they sell with it has no data, because it has no use
for data.

(Someone gave me a nicer phone,, into which I put the sim card, but I
lost that phone at home somewhere. So I went to ATT and they gave me
anotehr Sim card for free and put it in the first phone. So I was
using the first, simplest, cheapest phone when I bought the smart
phone.

This ng is not very busy, so it's easy to find my three threads. The
first one probably is not interesting to you but this one is. I
didn't cover everything it says. You should read it. There are
probalby other threads there that will int erest you, especially if
you have decided to go with AT&T.

Newsgroups: alt.cellular.attws
Subject: Wifi reception that doesn't use AT&T data
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2012 18:47:38 -0400

And read this one too. It has info beyone the question. :
Newsgroups: alt.cellular.attws
Subject: If I do get a data plan, does it roll over like minutes?
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2012 05:14:07 -0400

And the answer to the question is No. Every month you lose whatever
is left in your data plan, unless there is some exception to that that
they didn't know about. I would hate that.

Also read this.
http://www.att.com/esupport/article....id=LJOsLsEqWRX

It's hard to understand. This paragraph "Data Services for
Smartphones

To use data services, smartphone users must be on a monthly rate plan
and purchase a data feature package. Data Pay Per Use is not available
with smartphones on any GoPhone rate plan." seems to mean that
someone like me who is not on a monthly plan but on a 100 dollar plan,
can't buy a data package even if he wants to. (though I think I could
hcange to a monthly plan if I tried. )

The rest of it should also interest you, and if you don't understant,
ask on alt.cellular.attws BTW, not every cellerar provider or
manufacturer ng is active.

Camera: 3.2 MP Family Line: AT&T Fusion
Cellular Band: GSM 850/900/1800/1900 HSPA/WCDMA (UMTS) 850/1900/2100
Carrier: AT&T
Model: At&t Fusion U8652 Storage Capacity: 512 MB
Features: 3G Data Capable, Bluetooth Enabled, GPS, Internet
Browser, Music Player, Touch Screen, Wi-Fi Capable, Speakerphone
Color: Blue
Bundled Items: Wall charger & Usb Charger