Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Roof vents

On Aug 29, 3:33*pm, GoogaICQ wrote:
On Aug 29, 11:06*am, DerbyDad03 wrote:

It seems to me that you are going to all kinds of lengths to seal the
vents when the proper thing to do would be to get the contractor back
to fix the root cause of the problem - the vent itself.

Perhaps you need a different vent or a different location.

I'm still not sure what I'll do.

I went to a building supply store a few days ago to look at the roof
vents made by the company in question.
When I looked that the bathroom roof vent I immediately noticed a
difference between the one in the store and the one that the roofer
loaned me.

The vent company has made a change to the grill piece on the unit.
At first it appears there are just two parts (the main housing and the
flapper).
But there is a third separate part, the front grill where the air
passes through.

The vent I have on loan has a softer plastic for the grill.
The grill in the store had a much more rigid grill.
But the main thing though was the difference in noise they make.

For whatever reason, the flapping noise is much quieter on the store's
unit.
I just held the flapper at full height and let it drop several times
in a row.

So it seems the company is tinkering with their design.

I know you said that there are differences in the design of the 2
vents, but I wouldn't necessarily assume that the noise difference is
related to the design change. It may be, but there are too may
variables involved for you to make that call in the store.

In one case you are holding a vent in a store and listening from the
outside of a vent that is not attached to anything.

In the other case, the vent is firmly attached to your roof, partially
covered in shingles, and attached to a vent tube that could be
transmitting the sound down into the room.

Stand next to a running car in your driveway, then pull it into a
garage. I'm guessing that the car will sound louder in the garage for
obvious reasons.

The only way to truly tell if the new vent is quieter than the old one
is to place both vents in fairly identical locations, using fairly
identical installation methods.