Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Tig welder for plasma cutting?

"azotic" fired this volley in news:k1o556$fua$1
@speranza.aioe.org:

The arc voltage of a plasma cutter is higher than the arc voltage

I didn't mean that last to sound like I didn't agree with you. It's just
that the arc gap is quite small in most torches I've seen, and would be
POSSIBLE to have an arc at 30-50V, if you can just get it struck first.

A welder certainly would not work on a blow-back start torch, but I wonder
if it would work on an old-style one with high frequency to initate the
arc.

In my last... _Once the arc has started_, the voltage is a function of gap,
given constant current.

Lloyd