Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Can you get a prepaid phone with GPS

On Wed, 29 Aug 2012 19:27:10 -0700, mike wrote:

On 8/29/2012 5:20 PM, Metspitzer wrote:
On Wed, 29 Aug 2012 20:04:12 -0400, "
wrote:

On Wed, 29 Aug 2012 17:57:33 -0400, wrote:

After looking at countless phones, the only thing I have managed to do
is eliminate Page Plus. I am told that, although it does do Georgia,
the service is poor. It is a shame too. I was sold on the 12
package that does 250 min and 10M data.

Huh? Page Plus uses the Verizon network. Verizon covers Georgia quite well
(upgrading from 3G to 4G now).

I was going to go with an expensive phone so I would be able to use
all the features of a smart phone, but since I don't use them often, I
was hoping to get a cheap package.

Do any of the prepaid packages offer limited smart phone features? One
of the Page Plus phones I looked at said GPS. Would GPS be considered
part of a data plan?

GPS or navigation? GPS is built in. Navigation requires the network. Sorta.
Aftermarket stand-alone nav packages are available.

Yeah
That is the word I was looking for.......navigation.

Ask yourself why you NEED GPS???????
If you just wanna get from here to there, figger it out online
before you go and print a map or take notes.

....and then read them while you're driving.

GPS shines when you get lost or confused or detoured or change plans.
If you travel by car, get a cheapo self-contained GPS appliance.
They're small enough to fit in your pocket if needed.
Costs less than the data plan you'll need for something rarely used.
Don't leave it visible in the car. The broken window costs way
more than the GPS they stole.

GPS units today aren't worth enough to bother stealing.

GPS is of little use when you don't control the means of transport.
The bus driver ain't gonna go where you want. And if
it's too far to walk, you don't need GPS in your pocket.

Who said otherwise? BTW, you've never heard of a transfer?

There are always exceptions.