Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John Doe John Doe is offline

Default A hollow driveshaft, lighter and almost as strong?

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

So, then, how about arrow shafting? It's hard, it's light, it
takes a (longitudinal) beating in its intended purpose.

I appreciate the suggestion. I would like to use it. But...

Besides having a budget, I have several pieces with measurements
that have to match, like inner diameter to outer diameter. Since I
don't have metal working tools, everything must be ordered parts
that fit together.

Outer shaft
Aluminum 6061-T6 Drawn Tube
0.875" x 0.777"

Inner driveshaft
Aluminum 6061-T6 Bare Drawn Tube
0.375" x 0.245"

That inner diameter matches the outer diameter of the end piece
that is plugged into the socket driven by the motor. Using the end
part of the original flex shaft. Its actual outer diameter is
about .247, with some sanding it should fit snugly (glued).

Next up, find nylon (or whatever) bushings that will fit the 3/8
inch outer diameter of the driveshaft, and fit into the .777 inner
diameter of the outer shaft.

Connections at the other end of the driveshaft, to the geared
wheel, is hopefully the last task. Before testing.

I have a vague idea of what the RPM is going to be. Wheel size is
somewhat adjustable.

--

LLoyd