Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mark Zacharias Mark Zacharias is offline

Default Sony TV

"J.B. Wood" wrote in message
On 08/27/2012 07:35 PM, Vincent Schmitt wrote:
Hi!
Sony KDF=E42A10, Thd set has a line across the picture, no
distortion, I think it is the light engine.
AmI right?
Thank you

Vince

Hello, and I don't recall seeing any component labeled "light engine" on
the schematic diagram of a television receiver ;-). I assume from your
posting that you've got a set that uses a CRT (picture tube) as a display.
A thin white horizontal line indicates a malfunction in the vertical sweep
circuits. It could be a vertical output transistor(s), a short/open in the
coil of the vertical deflection yoke or something in the circuits
comprising the vertical sweep oscillator. Also, a component may not be
defective - a broken/cold solder joint(s) can also be the culprit.
Sincerely,

--
J. B. Wood e-mail:

The KDF-E42A10 is an LCD rear-projector. No deflection circuit as such.

I don't think the OP said a thin white line - just "a line".

Could be almost anything. This model has a tendency to develop a red-blue
shading at the top and bottom 1" or so because of (probably) a bad
polarizing filter. Generally the whole light engine must be replaced because
individual parts for the optical engine are not sold.

Mark Z.