Posted to alt.home.repair
Smitty Two[_2_] Smitty Two[_2_] is offline

Default 3 choices now that fan has burnt out

In article ,
micky wrote:

On Mon, 27 Aug 2012 09:19:02 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

All that said, if you've got the physical room for it, I'd go with the
29. Bigger is better, right?

Maybe, Are you sure?

No.

I need to check my notes. The second guy,
who has owned and run a motor repair shop for decades, told me one or
the other, and that I couldn't do the other.

I'd go with his recommendation, although IIRC, you said he couldn't find
his gauge when you were there ...

He gave me a piece of "paper" to use around the C-frame, so the wire
doesn't go right on the metal.

That's called fishpaper.

The webpage said after winding to varnish** it and bake it for 7
hours, at a lower termperature. And the third motor shop confirmed
these things when I asked.

You might want to look into "thermal bond" wire. Once you're done
winding, you just bake it in the oven for 1/2 hour or so. It's less
trouble and much less messy than varnishing.

As far as burning the house down -- that someone mentioned --

Good grief. We do have our fair share of whack-jobs.

As to fitting, the current motor has studs that are 1.5 inches on
center (as opposed to the newer ones that are at least 2" oc.)

I think you'll find mounting stud dimensions listed as b.c. (bolt
circle) rather than o.c. (on center.)

Even though I have a suitable new fan now, I'm still going to rewiind
this one. It will, I hope, make up for a bad job rewinding an
Erector Set motor when I was 13.

Hell yes.

One other thing, when you're magnet wire shopping: Some wire has
"solderable" insulation. The insulation isn't really solderable, but it
melts away when you heat it to solder the copper. It's a little easier
than the stuff that you have to mechanically strip with an X-acto knife
or similar. For a one-off project, that probably is not a significant
issue, but it's something to be aware of.