Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Best Lubricant for Worm Drive CD Players?

On Tue, 28 Aug 2012 09:05:56 -0700 (PDT), KenO
wrote:

Seems this error message is quite common with Worm Drive CD
Players and is due to sticking. Problem goes away when
clean and relube the worm and laser slides.

You have to decide if you want oil or grease. For the slide,
I use grease, mostly to keep it from dripping away. For the
rotating parts, I use oil.

I use white lithium grease, molybdenum disulfide grease, or teflon
grease. Whatever happens to be handy. Don't use anything really
thick, such as wheel bearing grease. A thin layer is enough. More
grease just collects dust.

For oil, I use clock oil (not watch oil). It's advantage is that it
does not change viscosity with temperature and does not evaporate over
time. It's probably overkill for the purpose, but I have some, so I
use it.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D