Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

Default Linseed oil danger

Ed Pawlowski wrote in
:

On Tue, 28 Aug 2012 05:08:56 +0000, nestork
wrote:

PS#2: If you ever hear some monkey on TV talking about "Omega Three"
fatty acids, all that means is that the THIRD carbon atom from the end
of the fatty acid has a double carbon=carbon bond. It's just a
different naming system. Chemists start counting the carbon atoms
from the carboxyl group (which is why the furthest carbon atom to the
left is labeled "1") while nutritionists and food scientists start
counting the carbon atoms from the other end (which is why the
furthest carbon atom to the right is labeled "omega" or "w". So,
looking at the diagram of linolenic acid, the third carbon atom from
the end marked with an "omega" or "w" symbol has a double
carbon=carbon bond on it, so linolenic acid is an "omega-3" fatty
acid. It's also an omega-6 fatty acid and an omega-9 fatty acid as
well. So, what seemed to be so highly technical turns out to be
pretty simple.

Obviously, I'm not very busy right now...

This is a great conversation starter at a cocktail party.

Hey, wait a minute. That stuff used to be my bread, butter etc.

--
Best regards
Han