Kalico

Default Partially Blocked Flue? Please Comment On Pic...

"MR" no-email-address wrote in message
Many thanks for all the posts and suggestions so far. I've been back in

the
loft and taken some more pics that can be found he
http://tinyurl.com/tz1q

Pic 1 = This is the Flue 'hole' in the loft with the metal tubing that was
used with the flue extension kit.

Pic 2 = Now this is with metal tubing removed with a heavy blob of what
seems to be cement/putty on the end (this incidentally was loose and I

have
not used ANY force at all to remove the tubing for the photo).

Pic 3 = This shows the flue in relation to the pitched roof.

Pic 4 = This is the fire we have had chosen and had installed.

Now I'm wondering from the posts whether the loose tubing in Pic 2 could

be
posing a problem as this is not secured fully (flush/air-tight) to the

hole
in the loft. Should this be in any way loose or am I correct in thinking

it
should be flush/fully sealed to the exit hole?

Again your thoughts and comments are appreciated.

PS - The fire that was there previously seemed to work OK, but we have

only
recently bought the house and the fire was one of the first things we
changed. The house is 30years old. And the flue did leave through a roof
tile at the utmost point of the roof, but then when the flue extension was
tried it was taken out around 1/2 way up the roof where a tile was cut

etc.

My guess is that the fire that was fitted before was not of the 'living
flame' type. at least with flames that are open to the room, Possibly it
was a radiant fire or the flames were behind glass? Let me know.

Either way, it would be helpful to see what flue terminal you have fitted up
top as I suspect it is incorrect for the fire you are using. The Corgi
fitter who did the fire should have been able to advise you on this.

You are correct that ALL the joints must be gas tight. The idea is to get
as near as possible to a continuous and constant diameter flue running all
the way to the terminal, which of course, should be the correct type. In my
experience, about 80% of all older homes with gas fires have the wrong type
of terminal fitted. Even none at all would be better, but invites those
pesky pigeons to fall down after becoming intoxicated on the flue gases
whilst sitting on the pot for warmth.

Hope this helps a bit.

Rob

--