Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default ot technology:

On 8/27/2012 1:11 PM, Bill wrote:
On 8/27/2012 1:34 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 8/27/2012 12:05 AM, Bill wrote:
Swingman wrote:

The shallow minded bitch about the lack of bells and whistles, and
**** and
moan about the closed architecture, without understanding that the
trade
off is a robust device that will give you ten hours of use without a
battery charge, unmatched portability, applications for every
conceivable
pursuit/task, an intuitive interface, and a virtually trouble free OS
architecture, requiring no technical expertise whatsoever to be
productive,
that you can carry in one hand, all day, every day.

The may asked:
Never having used an ipad myself, I am compelled to ask what is
different from this and what one does with a common PC today, and has
done for years?

And I answered:

The "interface" (how you interact with it)--it has a touch sensitive
screen and understands "gestures". It's closer to being an appliance,
and is lighter, portable, and you can upgrade it by replacing it every
year or two. My wife has one. IIRC, It doesn't even have a USB port.

Reviewing what I wrote again, I think it's a fair answer. No?

Fair, as far as it goes, yes. Complete, not necessarily.

Okay, as long as you thought I was being fair. "Complete" is relative
to the individual (obviously). The way things go around here, I may end
up with another "(i) hand me down". : )

Hand-me-downs are good things in the iPad scheme of things.

Gave my first gen to oldest daughter, who gave it to her husband when
she upgraded to her new iPad.

My wife now has my old iPad2, who gave her first gen to my SIL's mother,
who has Parkinson's and really finds it much easier to use than her
computer.

There is not enough difference in the models, thus far, to really make
much difference in everyday use for those getting their first iPad.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010