Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_31_] Bill[_31_] is offline

Default ot technology:

On 8/27/2012 7:10 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Bill wrote:

And I answered:

The "interface" (how you interact with it)--it has a touch sensitive
screen and understands "gestures". It's closer to being an appliance,
and is lighter, portable, and you can upgrade it by replacing it every
year or two. My wife has one. IIRC, It doesn't even have a USB port.

Reviewing what I wrote again, I think it's a fair answer. No? If he
doesn't require portability, then he's not missing a thing. In fact,
he's probably better off with out it, like me. I enjoy my Logitech
Z-5500 5.1 speaker system too (which I got for $200) and, especially,
my monitor, mouse and *keyboard*!

The portability and long battery life seem like they might be attractive to
a degree. For me - I've never really felt that my laptop encumbered me
enough to look for a different technology. I certainly do not understand
why the absence of a USB port would be considered attractive. As for the
interface - my Galaxy S-3 has one of the best touch screen interfaces out
there (currently...), and it is interesting, it is sometimes very
convenient, and it is sometimes just technology. In otherwords, I like a
lot of the aspects of it, but a lot of touchscreen is just whizbang.

So far, I would not want to be without the familiar things like a mouse,
etc. But... I've never used any of the pad devices, so who's to say?

Admittedly, I was one of those who thought that command-line based
computing "offered it all" (and I was almost right). I passed up my
chance to invest in Microsoft. I underestimated the value people place
on cell phones (I don't have one) and computer games I'm not on
Facebook or any "social network". I recognize that I cannot predict the
future!!! : )