Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Neon indicator for 3-way garage lights

Richard Russell was thinking very hard :
On Sun, 26 Aug 2012 09:41:52 +0100, Andy Burns
wrote:

http://www.rtr.myzen.co.uk/neon.gif

Provided the intermediate [switch is|switches are] between the lamp and the
right hand switch?

That's right. It's possible the OP may need to swap a 2-way switch with an
intermediate switch to achieve the correct arrangement.

The more general topology of the N-way 'alternative' method is (simplified):

2-way switch
Any number of intermediate switches
Load(s)
Neon(s)
Any number of intermediate switches
2-way switch

So for example it's possible to have more than one switch in the house as
well as more than one in the garage, with loads in both places, without any
extra wiring. It's just a case of ensuring that the leg to which the load(s)
and any monitoring neons are connected is the leg which joins the house to
the garage.

I've never understood why this 'alternative' method isn't more popular. The
Wikipedia article says it "can cause confusion" but, come on, it's only wires
and switches - you don't need a PhD to understand it!

Richard.
http://www.rtrussell.co.uk/

Interesting and I will admit I have never come across that arrangement
before.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)