Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default Follow-up on fan that needs oiling evey day

micky wrote in
:

Follow-up on fan that needs oiling evey day I think you'll all enjoy
this.

Well, I took the advice to use liquid wrench to clean out the dried up
oil. I have several zoom spout oilers and one wasn't labeled, but it
didnt' smell like oil, so since all I had ever filled them with was
oil or liquid wrench, I used that.

But then I thought, I'll never get oil in now because the space is
filled with that other liquid.

So I just ran the fan that night and it worked fine, that night and
the next.

After two days it would barely turn -- if I pushed it with my finger,
it stopped immediately -- so I got REAL liquid wrench, not 15 years
old, and put some of that in the bearings. .

I sleep with my shoulder about 12 to 18" from the fan. At 3 in the
morning, I felt a warm spot on my shoulder blade. I turned around
quickly and the flames were about an inch high. I reached for the
electric switch but before I got to the switch, the flame went out.

I think the flame must have been 3 inches high to cause the warmth on
my shoulder.

Now the fan does nothing when I turn the switch on. I have three
choices what to do next., but they will go in my next post.

Now, you may all laugh at me.

Oh go for it Micky. I bet you can get a few thousand more rpm's outta it
if you really try.

Mount box of sodium bicarbonate on top with duct tape. If fan goes into
thermal runaway again, box will burn, bicarb drops, fire goes out. Now
there's some smart "There, I fixed it!"

Happy to contribute,
Red (always thinkin') Green