Posted to alt.internet.wireless,alt.home.repair

Default Home mounting of WiFi antenna - advice sought for a too-short antenna mast

On Sun, 26 Aug 2012 16:18:58 +0000 (UTC), "J.G."
wrote:

On Sun, 26 Aug 2012 08:53:01 -0700, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

Don't forget to waterproof the exposed connectors. I wrap them with
teflon tape, and then cover the teflon tape with electrical tape. A
layer of clear coat acrylic paint (Krlyon) for UV protection and to keep
the tape from unraveling in the sun.

That's a wonderful idea.

Thanks. It's original and has worked great for the last 30 odd years.
The teflon tape cold flows into all the cracks and joints. It
prevents capillary action. Best of all, when removed, the original
connectors are as shiny as when they were new. I use 1" wide plumbers
tape. BC Hardware used to stock it, but they haven't had it for
years. Common 1/2" is available anywhere and will suffice.

Hmmm... I just found some on eBay. Time to restock:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/140808957532

The Ubiquiti dish came with all stainless steel bolts. Do you still wrap
them if they're all stainless steel?

No. Not the bolts. Stainless doesn't need any protection. Don't
even bother greasing the nuts as a slipper nut tends to loosen if the
dish vibrates in the wind.

The teflon plus electrical tape wrap is for electrical and RF
connectors. Most of those are internally protected inside the Rocket
housing. The four rubber boots over the four RF connectors is
probably adequate. However, I like to wrap the connector with teflon
tape, and then slide on the boot. The boot will deteriorate after
about 5 years in the sun. After it crumbles and falls apart, just
rewrap the teflon, layer the electrical tape, and spray on the acrylic
(mask the radio) and you're good for another 10 years or so.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D