Mike G

Default Newbie tool advice needed

All of the tools you mention will do their basic jobs just fine but may
require a bit more attention during operation to be sure they are doing it
accurately.

Despite what many would have you believe, woodworking has nothing to do with
how much you spend on tools and only slightly more on the tools themselves.
There are thousands of woodworkers out there doing some outstanding work
with far less in the way of tools then what you have, better work then a lot
of people with far more then what you have.

Big expensive tools are not magic carpet rides to the promised land, just a
plusher ride.

What woodworking does have to do with is knowledge and skill developed
through study and practice, attention to details, and, learning to work with
the tools you do have, not the ones you'd like to have.

Learn how to work with what you have.

--
Mike G.

Heirloom Woods
www.heirloom-woods.net
"Corey" wrote in message
I am thinking about getting started in woodworking (white collar guy

looking
to produce something tangible). I've been reading this newsgroup, looking
through some of the popular WW magazines, and read the woodworking for
dummies book. For background, the only saw I've ever used is a jigsaw
playing around. So I am the most novice you can think of.

I've read the advice on buying quality tools vs. the "intro" tools. But I
have a bunch of intro tools as gifts or inherited (Craftsman table saw,
router and table, some off brand 8 1/4" compund miter saw, old small drill
press, a ripsaw/circular saw - can't remember the correct term, a small
bandsaw, and a couple of power sanders). Since I've never done any work,
I'm sure I'm going to have a big learning curve - and who knows if I'll

want
to even stick with it. So...

Should I stick with these inferior tools for starters to try the hobby out
and hone my skills? Or am I wasting my time with the lower end tools?

Thanks for your opinions.