Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.hp.hardware
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default What color laser printer is easily & cheaply refilled at home from non OEM toner?

On Sun, 26 Aug 2012 09:10:02 +0000 (UTC), "J.G."
wrote:

On Tue, 21 Aug 2012 15:47:57 -0700, Ashton Crusher wrote:

Most lasers will have a power save that turns off the fuser heat which
is similar to turning them off.

At first, I couldn't find that 'feature' by name in the HP 3200 laserjet
manual:
http://crl.ap.buffalo.edu/faculty/phones/3200manual.pdf

But, reading page by page by page, on page 228 of that manual, I find
this chart which talks about "idle mode" which may be the thing you are
talking about?
Power requirements = 100 to 127 volts +/-10% 50 to 60 hertz
Power consumption = Continuous copy mode: 135 watts
Idle mode = 7 watts
Minimum recommended circuit capacity = 4.2 amps (110 volts)
Idle power = 7 watts

The question is whether it goes into "idle mode" on its own or if I have
to put it into that mode. Unfortunately, a control F shows that "idle
mode" is used only once in the entire 300-page document! And its at that
chart. So there's not much to go by.

Yes, it goes into idle mode on its own.