Posted to alt.internet.wireless,alt.home.repair
J.G. J.G. is offline

Default Home mounting of WiFi antenna - advice sought for a too-shortantenna mast

On Sat, 25 Aug 2012 00:12:38 -0700, miso wrote:

Satellite internet is terrible. You can't get around the latency problem
unless you can cut a deal with Einstein.

Satellite sucks with 700ms latencies & severe bandwidth limits; but it
does provide the Santa Cruz mountains with 10 Mbps to 20 Mbps if you go
with Viasat Exede Ka band (forget HughesNet, which is Ku band). Plus you
can't buy and set up your own equipment.

This antenna and radio I'm mounting is for 2.4 Ghz WiFi, which has to
handle a lot more noise - but otherwise it works fine at the 10Mbps to
20Mbps range up here in the Santa Cruz Mountains.

The alternative is 5Ghz equipment, depending on the WISP (e.g., Etheric)
but the drawback is you can't own and set up your own equipment.

Most of us up here in the mountains set up our own equipment. We're not
as smart as you guys but luckily the WISPs are all pretty good about it
(Surfnet, Hilltop, Ridgewireless, etc.). So we learn just enough to get
it working & for the kids not to kill us when it goes down.