Posted to alt.internet.wireless,alt.home.repair
[email protected] fred.flintstone@thecave.com is offline

Default Home mounting of WiFi antenna - advice sought for a too-short antenna mast

On Fri, 24 Aug 2012 06:25:37 -0500, Dean Hoffman
" wrote:

On 8/24/12 1:53 AM, J.G. wrote:
I picked up a Rocketdish RocketM2 radio for WiFi reception and tried to
mount it on an old Dish-TV antenna arm.
http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/9047632.jpg

The problem is it's about six inches too short (see picture above).

I had planned on bolting this to the wood boards framing the edge of a
tile roof (without going on the roof itself).

Advice sought:
a) Would you just extend the mast with a pipe?
b) Would you buy a new mast (from where)?
c) Is there another trick I can't think of?

I'm hoping a clever idea will pop out of this.

Otherwise, I'll just buy a new antenna arm and make sure it's longer
somehow!

Someone mentioned a muffler shop and a pipe. Would a standard
plumbing pipe fit snugly in the existing bracket pipe? If so,
you could slide the plumbing pipe into the existing bracket pipe.
Cut some grooves in the existing pipe. Use a muffler clamp to squeeze
the two pipes together.

This may be too small of a pipe for common muffler clamps. If plumbing
pipe fits inside, either get it welded, or drill a hole thru both pipes
and put a bolt thru it. Around my area getting it welded if you supply
the extension pipe, would cost $10 or less at a professional welding
shop. Even if they charge $80 an hour, you're looking at a 5 minute job
and a buck or two for the welding wire. You cant buy a bracket for
that. Be sure to paint the weld to avoid rust stains on the house.