Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hiding places

On Sat, 25 Aug 2012 20:24:29 -0700 (PDT), Harry K
wrote:

On Aug 25, 10:51*am, micky wrote:
On Thu, 23 Aug 2012 07:41:28 -0700 (PDT), Harry K

wrote:
On Aug 22, 8:12*pm, micky wrote:
On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 22:40:59 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 22 Aug 2012 17:09:35 GMT, Han wrote:

Ed Pawlowski wrote in
news

It gives of some RF signal I guess, for a short distance. *As for
brand, it comes with the car. *Many cars have them now and you push a
button to start.

Ed, is there a way to turn the engine off in an emergency? *Unlock the
doors? *I am thinking of some malfunction that makes the car refuse to
brake, as well as driving into a canal. *Do you have one of those emergency
hammers that will break the glass of the window like this

http://www.amazon.com/LifeHammer-Ori...rgency-Hammer-
Orange/dp/B000BN3A4Y?

The engine can be shut down by holding the dash start/stop button for
a couple of seconds. *Doors can be unlocked by just pulling on the
handle as you normally would and it is a mechanical connection.

On my lebaron the drivers door would open from inside even if locked.

On t he Toyota, the door has to be unlocked.

For the Toyota that sounds like a distinct safety hazard. *At least
the driver's door shouldb e openable.

Yes. * *I don't lock my doors when I drive, but a lot of people do.

Harry K

Both of my last new fords (2005 and 2001) automatically lock when the
car starts moving....hmmm. I never have tried to see if they will
unlock from inside while in motion.

Fronts usually do, rears are often selectable via a switch in the door jam.
It's a kiddie safety feature.