Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default 3 choices now that fan has burnt out

My fan has burned out, literally, with a fire.

I have 3 or more choices.

Fix the fan:
1) Rewind the motor myself. The motor shop will do it for me for
200 but I'd much rather do it myself. I'll do the winding while I'm
watching TV. Magnet wire runs between $6 and 11 including shipping.

I went to 3 shops to buy a new motor, but failing that, I asked for
advice on rebuilding: The first motor shop said it used 31 gauge.
The second shop is closing and he couldn't find his wire gauge, but
his micrometer said it was 0.010 inches, which is 30 gauge. And the
third shop said it used 29 gauge. The first and third shops
didn't tell me if they used a guage or a micrometer.

What gauge should I use, 29, 30, 31, or should I take it to more
places to find out their opinion? I also have my own micrometer
around here. It's cheap, but it says exactly zero when closed and one
inch when open afaict one inch. Does that mean it will be accurate to
1/1000 of an inch?

(29 guage is 0.0113 inches; 30 gauge is 0.010 inches: and 31 guage is
0.0893 inches.)

2) The guy at the first motor store told me that he set fire to his
fan too, by oiliing it a lot, and his fan melted. (Mine can't do
that.) His wiife watched the flames, about 12" high, and said, "I
guess we need a new fan". Why couldn't I find a woman like that?

He reminded me that some fans now have remote control. That would
serve the same purpose as having the fan right above my head where I
can turn it on or off just by moving my arm.

But I can't find a table fan like that. The only ones I find are
"floor fans" that are actually too short to put on the floor and too
tall to put on a table. Plus their base is, of course, a lot bigger
than a table fan.

Does anyone know of a table fan with remote control for speed and
on/off. What and where if you remember?

Has anyone used Natural Breeze and did you like it? What brand if
you remember?

3) Buy a simlar fan to use for parts. On the web I learned that
this one is between 77 and 79 years old . (It's an Alliance Model R)

I found two similar models that were auctioned about 6 years ago, one
with a marble-like agate base. And I found another one on Ebay.
now, but he says "It needs a new cord. I don't know if it works."
Well, it was 25 plus 9 shipping yesterday, but it's up 51 and ten
bids now. That's almost as much as one that the previous aucition
seller said worked. ($82) .
http://www.ebay.com/itm/200808769740... 4.m1438.l2649

Thanks a lot for any help you can give me.